Category Solar Heating Systems for Houses

THE CONTRIBUTION OF SOLAR THERMAL ENERGY TO THE OVERALL HEAT DEMAND IN EUROPE

image002 image003

In 1998, energy consumption in the building sector totalled 16,077 PJ in European Union Member States, or around 40% of overall energy consumption in the European Union. Requirements for hot water and space heating amounted to 12,200 PJ, or 75%, of consumption in buildings. Of this, 9200 PJ was accounted for by residential buildings (Figures 1.2 and 1.3).

Since the heat needed in the building sector is low-temperature heat, this shows the large potential for solar thermal systems to provide space heating as well as domestic hot water for the inhabitants of the building.

Read More

TOWARDS A SUSTAINABLE ENERGY FUTURE

Today, the world’s energy supply is based on the non-renewable sources of energy: oil, coal, natural gas and uranium, which together cover about 82% of the global primary energy requirements. The remaining 18% is divided into approximately two thirds biomass and one third hydropower.

According to many experts, the effective protection of the climate for future generations will demand at least a 50% reduction in the worldwide anthropogenic emission of greenhouse gases in the next 50 to 100 years. With due consideration of common population growth scenarios and with the assumption of a simultaneity criterion for CO, emissions from fossil fuels, an average per capita reduction in the yield in industrial countries of approximately 90% will be required...

Read More

Solar combisystems and the global energy challenge

Werner Weiss

The increase of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, and the global warming and climatic change associated with it, represent one of the greatest environmental threats of our time and, in the future, also one of the greatest social dangers. The anthropogenic reasons for this impending change in the climate can for the greater part be put down to the use of energy and the combustion of fossil primary sources of energy, and the emission of CO, associated with this.

To set the course towards a sustainable energy future it is necessary to look for solutions that are based on renewable energy.

Read More

Preface

Since the beginning of the 1980s, the rate of growth in the use of solar collectors for domestic hot water preparation has shown that solar heating systems are both mature and technically reliable. However, for several years, solar thermal systems seemed to be restricted to this application.

When the first systems for combined domestic hot water preparation and space heating, called solar combisystems, appeared on the market, complex and individually designed systems were the rule.

The combination of thermally well insulated buildings and low-temperature heat supply systems offered a wealth of new possibilities for solar space heating systems with short-term storage...

Read More